Administrative Assistant, R&D Cluster Programs Section, Technology Development and Innovation Center
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world‐class faculty in modern well‐equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross‐disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The OIST Technology Development & Innovation Center is seeking an experienced Administrative Assistant to support the administration of technology development research through the OIST Proof-of-Concept (POC) Program, a unique internal, competitive grant program that provides funding, training and other resources to OIST researchers to help bridge the gap between lab discoveries and commercial applications. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Senior Manager of the R&D Cluster Programs section, and work directly with researchers in the OIST research units with their POC budget allocations.
1. Provide proactive administrative support for the activities of the Section.
2. Arrange travel, including travel and settlements for invited guests.
3. Assist in liaising with Budget, Procurement and other sections to make collaboration as smooth as possible.
4. Assist in arranging Section events mentor visits and training workshops.
5. Assist in translating documents, updating the section webpages.
6. Organize physical and electronic documents in both English and Japanese.
7. Manage the Personnel, operational and capital cost allocations and tracking of multiple technology development projects.
8. Perform other administrative duties as needed.
1. Minimum five years of administrative experience.
2. Native‐level Japanese and business‐level English communication skills (TOEIC 900 or higher).
3. Computer skills and proficiency in office software
(MS Office365: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook,OneDrive,SharePoint).
4. Experience managing budget allocations for multiple large research-related projects.
5. Ability to interact in a professional manner with administrative staff and senior academic staff.
6. Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
7. High level of organization, efficiency, and attention to detail.
1. Previous experience working in a higher education institution preferred,
2. Previous experience working in a bilingual administrative environment preferred.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million ~
*Competitive, according to skills and experience.
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
‐ Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
‐ Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.