The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Dean of Research is responsible for external academic grant funding and for strategic partnerships between OIST and other research organizations. The Grants and Collaboration Section reports to the Dean of Research to deliver these objectives.
The Administrative Staff (Partnership Coordinator) will be a member of the Grants and Collaboration Section and will support the Dean of Research in strategic research partnership development.
- Serve as the administrator for Dean of Research’s development of OIST research partnerships
- Guide research partnership development to be aligned with OIST guidelines
- Prepare and participate in business trips and workshops to initiate and maintain research partnerships
- Coordinate with internal and external members to provide logistic support for visitors of symposia, seminars, and other activities
- Assist with workshops and symposia, some of which may occur during weekends or holidays
- Arrange taskforce activities and facilitate discussions with partner universities/institutions to prepare for large external academic grant applications
- Assist planning, forecasting, and reporting Dean of Research’s budget
- Minimum of 5-10 years administrative working experience in an international environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with cultural sensitivity and flexibility.
- Proficient in English and Japanese (written and spoken).
- Ability to judge priorities and run multiple tasks and projects in parallel under minimum supervision.
- Experience in budget analysis.
- Experience and ability to interact/communicate appropriately with senior level executives in academic, governmental and private sectors.
- Excellent skills to operate office equipment including computers (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.). Proficient in the use of the internet as a source of information.
- Aptitude and interest necessary to further develop knowledge and abilities and to maintain positive a work relationship with other divisions/sections of OIST.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million ~ 7.2 million yen (Job class: Administrative II-III, A2-3)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
*This position requires Japanese business or native level and English business level, so submission of both of Japanese and English documents are mandatory.
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3-5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.