Administrative Assistant, Division of Financial Management
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
Administrative Assistant in the Financial Management Division a generalist position that performs administration and coordination support for the division. She/he reports to the Vice President for Financial Management.
- Assist the Vice President and the section managers with the organization and scheduling of meetings and appointments.
- Make travel arrangements and settlements (both international and domestic) for the division staff members.
- Handle purchase orders and reimbursement for the division.
- Assist in the preparation of meeting materials etc.
- Take meeting minutes in English/Japanese.
- Administrative assistant may be asked to perform tasks of Budget and Accounting sections as needed.
- Other ad hoc duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum two years clerical or administrative experience
- Native level in Japanese and advanced business level in English (TOEIC 750 or higher)
- Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to amicably coordinate through complex/conflicting circumstances.
- Working experience in both Japanese and international settings
- Working experience in financial department (budget, accounting and procurement)
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 or 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.