Manager, Digital Content, Brand, and Design
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Manager, Digital Content, Brand and Design will be responsible for providing creative leadership and effective management of the digital communications, brand and design functions within the Communication and Public Relations Division, developing and implementing content strategies and output which enhance OIST’s reputation and underpin its success.
S/he will be responsible for:
1. The consistent delivery of compelling and high-quality content across all digital channels. Working closely with colleagues within the Division (especially the Media Relations and Community Relations sections) and across the Institute and Graduate University, s/he will devise and implement a dynamic digital communications strategy supporting the objectives of the OIST Strategic Plan 2020-30, ensuring our mission, messages and brand are shared professionally and effectively, reaching key audiences across web and social media, and in brand collateral.
2. The Manager will support strong levels of performance from section staff and will lead operations to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of digital communications and design.
3. The Manager will lead the successful development and implementation of a CPR digital strategy and social media plan; including project management of key infrastructure and content projects. They will ensure and implement a strategic approach to the use of social media.
4. S/he will also ensure the strategic and tactical use of social media to manage our key messaging, and with the Vice-President and the Manager, Media Relations will respond quickly and decisively to counter any inaccurate or potentially damaging comments. S/he will ensure compliance with all applicable legal and best practice standards across digital communications.
5. The post-holder will take the lead in advising CPR and other colleagues of the latest developments in digital communications and trends in audience interaction with digital technologies; s/he will identify, prioritise and exploit technologies, platforms and digital techniques to further OIST’s reach and engagement with its diverse stakeholders.
6. The Manager will drive the development and continuous improvement of the OIST web estate and will take overall responsibility for ensuring that an effective content management strategy is in place to schedule, commission, quality-control and oversee the production of relevant content for diverse external audiences.
7. S/he will develop, monitor and report on of a range of agreed analytics and KPIs and will, when required, chair Content Group meetings on behalf of the Vice-President.
8. S/he will support the Vice-President in ensuring that brand and brand guidelines are clear, effective and consistently applied.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a field related to communications or digital (Literature, Humanities, Journalism, Film, TV, Radio, Science Communication, Design, Digital Communications, IT)
- Demonstrated ability actively to build and maintain internal and external networks of senior colleagues and peers to achieve strategic objectives.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the digital communications landscape and multimedia production, with solid experience of commissioning and making content.
- Proven ability to implement innovative and creative solutions to complex communications challenges.
- Evidence of successfully managing and inspiring teams of people with various professional expertise; providing inspirational, results-driven leadership.
- Proven track record of influencing others at every level within an organization.
- Experience of successful budget management; including forecasting accurately, ensuring value for money principles are embedded within budgetary processes and that organizational processes are adhered to.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication, both verbal and written, including presentation skills.
- Able to work under significant pressure and deliver multiple projects to tight deadlines.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills with the ability to inspire confidence amongst senior colleagues.
- Ability to travel and a willingness to work flexibly.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (native-level English language).
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with a diverse group of people.
- Japanese language skills.
- Master’s Degree in a field related to the role (as above).
- Experience working in an international and/or research and education setting.
- Experience in account managing digital and creative agencies.
- Experience in brand development and brand management.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1-2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.